This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

Sunday, May 7, 2017

Turquoise-browed Motmot

Eumomota superciliosa 

Appearance:
Olive-green body
Rufus back and belly
Broad turquoise band above eye
Black mask with thin strip of turquoise underneath
Triangular patch of rufus behind eye
Turquoise-bordered black patch on throat
Olive-green and turquoise wings with black tips
Turquoise tail with black tips
Two long, central tail feathers with middle portion missing
Long, thick, black bill

These striking birds were quite common in Guanacaste. I saw them daily during my time there, perched on telephone wires and fence posts, waving their tails back and forth like pendulums. Oddly enough, none of them had any turquoise on their brow, which I found a bit confusing. The most interesting thing I witnessed was a pair of them entering a tiny hole in a bank of dirt next to a road. Apparently, they dig long tunnels in banks to build their nests.

Learn more about the Turquoise-browed Motmot

No comments:

Post a Comment